Accessible Playgrounds: Going Beyond Ramps
November 25, 2009 at 3:00 PM EST, 2:00 PM CST, 1:00 PM MST, 12:00 PM PST
(60 minutes)

Past trends have led to the creation of many "ramped" playgrounds, however, these efforts alone are not enough. Guest presenter Mara Kaplan is the driving force behind "Let Kids Play!" and an expert in toys and playspaces for children with special needs. She is the mother of a profoundly disabled son, and has operated a playspace for children with and without disabilities for 13 years. She will explain that only 10% of disabled children have orthopedic impairments while the remaining 90% have emotional, visual, auditory and speech impairments. Therefore, we must go beyond the ramp to make playgrounds accessible to all children. Take a listen to learn more.

 

Click here for minimum tech requirements.